The process does not stop with the purchase and installation of a new garage door. The thing is, in order for them to maintain their top quality and condition, they must be adequately cared for and preserved. Even if you bought a high-quality brand and a heavy-duty material, you must always take proper care of your garage door. Here are some door repair tips that will help you keep your door looking and functioning like new. Metro Garage Door Repair offers excellent info on this.
1. Wipe down with a clean cloth on a daily basis. It’s fine to do this once a month. This is necessary to avoid damage such as rusting, which is normally caused by foreign matter adhering to the door’s surface. Dip the fabric in a mild household detergent mixed with water to remove stubborn stains and debris. Scrubbing the door’s surface with a rough material can leave unsightly scratches.
2. Polish the garage door with car wax. This will help the surface in repelling dirt and retaining moisture. Of course, this would be dependent on the garage door’s content. Before attempting this tip, make sure you have read the manual. For example, wooden garage doors can necessitate a different solution.
3. Look for any signs of damage or missing parts on the entrance. Examine the rubber astragal, opening mechanism, bracket button, hinges, steel rollers, and other parts of the lock.
4. Use light household oil or a lubricant specifically made for this purpose to lubricate the moving parts.
5. Get your garage repaired by a specialist if you see any signs of failure or missing parts. When you already know there’s a problem with your garage door, it’s not a smart idea to keep it open like that. To avoid any injury, have it fixed right away.
6. Check the door’s safety reverse mechanism at least once a month. When something blocks the entrance, the safety reversal mechanism ensures that it can reverse back to the open position, preventing accidents and even death. Block the door with something like a roll of paper towels to test the mechanism. If the door does not return to its original opening location and crushes the paper towels, it must be re-adjusted or repaired right away.
7. Tighten bolts’ screws and nuts twice a year. In the unlocked location, make sure the slide lock does not reach past the end stile of the door.
8. Check to see if the door opens and closes smoothly. It should be easy to follow. Check out what’s wrong and get it fixed as soon as possible if anything seems to be stuck.